Monday, 5 March 2012

WW1 British Tanks Part 6

Part 6
     The reason my Grandad was a prisoner of war was his Tank got hit up I think it was at Ypres but thank God he made it out alive. A part from the fact my Grandad  was in a tank where the heat was over a 100 degrees in minutes, on top of that he could have a died from carbon monoxide poisoning which killed many tank crews on top of that the Tank crews had to wear Helmets with chain mail etc


WW1 Tank crew Helmet

The Germans had Armour piecing Bullets so shrapnel was a problem hence the full head gear 


Hotchkiss 6 PDR




Lewis machine Gun 



When my Grandad was first captured the french managed to get a letter sent sent home to my Grandad parents with new news that he is ok,  I still have the letter  



                                                              The Letter From France


the Letter is very old now so fragile also when my Grandad got home he got a Letter from King George V
Hand written letter from the palace

The Letter from the King









I have typed out the Letter from the French people who got the letter out and the Letter from King George V when my Grandad got home




 king George V     at Bovington in Dorset

                                                        







  

12 comments:

  1. Great stuff! Thanks for sharing these family treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading just one more part to go

      Delete
  2. Impressive story - excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I enjoyed blogging this story

      Delete
  3. That is a totally fabulous story. Normally you have to be a 100 to get a letter from the Queen!

    And that helmet is a throw back to medieval times but totally understandable given the conditions the tank crews worked in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats what I thought a throw back to medieval times but the Helmet looks evil and spooky just one more part of the story to come

      Delete
  4. Amazing story. Good on the King for writing that letter. Thanks for sharing. Did you get to know your grandad? How long did he live?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great info Vince!!! Must make you very proud?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. very proud indeed to me he was an amazing man I am glad you enjoyed my blog

      Delete
  6. Awesome stuff Vinnie. Great treasures to have. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im glad you enjoyed my bit of history I enjoyed writing this blog my first time blogging

      Delete