Tuesday, 28 February 2012

WW1 British Tanks Part 3

PART 3




William Tritton

                                                                             
                                                                  Walter Wilson


          As I have mention in a early post William Tritton & Walter Wilson designed Little Willie Thurs gave birth to Tanks.

over the years the tanks got called Mother but to be honest there was Little Willie the prototype then Mother which was use for demonstration the first  on the 29 January 1916 in the grounds of Hatfield House.
It tackle Trenches shell holes etc and then repeated the feat again four days later in front Field Marshal Kitchener. (Who Called mother a pretty Mechanical Toy) Ten Days later the army council ordered 100 tanks the first tanks were mark 1s  Mother never survived as the mark 1s took over.


The Reason I have a big interest in Tanks is because my Grandad Drove a Mark 5 in WW1.




                                                           My Grandad at 16yrs 4 months

My Grandad was 16yrs and 4 months when he enlisted in the 7th Royal Fusiliers at Finsbury Barracks.
30/10/15 Transferred to the Machine Gun Corp
23/01/16 Sent to France with the 60th coy. M.G.C. attached to 60th Brigade 20th Division came back to England on the 20/12/16
15/02/17 Transferred to Army Catering Corps  Swindon
01/03/17  Transferred to 64th Highland Div. Norwich
26/1917   Transferred to Sherwood Rangers
06/01/18 Transferred to the Tank Corp Wareham.


                                               My Grandad Tank Mark 5 Female



                                                             My Grandad at age 21


28mm Resin Model Female Mark 5




                                              28mm Resins Model Female Mark 5 rear view 




                                               28mm Resin Model Female mark 5 Front view 

I put this Model together and The Angry lurker painted it for me the next few picture are model I did
manage to paint myself  I Know very rare I trusted myself to paint.



                                                 28mm Resin mark 5 Resin Model

The Tank was painted by me but the figures etc was painted by The Angry Lurker

.
                                          
                                                        Same Tank Front View



  







        

16 comments:

  1. Quite awesome mate!

    I really like that tank for some reason...I can not put my finger on it....But there is something...

    Oh and I am following you now ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its the crudeness of it plus its a infant tank the 1st and to what they have now become.
      i am following you too

      Delete
  2. There is a famous PhotoJournalist getting prizes for a photo series that shows, I think it is the Dutch Marines overseas, nowadays, in before and after photos.

    The idea was to observe for any changes in their faces and expressions that could be from maturing in their war experiences.

    I think I can see some of that here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew that but that is what caught my eye about my Grandad s pictures the face says it all

      Delete
  3. A very good reason to be interested in the tanks! How long did your grandfather stay in the Army after the war?I assume from his 21st picture that he stayed with the tank regiment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be Blogging some more about what happen to my Grandad very soon and some more about his picture

      Delete
  4. Great post. Pictures of those soldiers are haunting. My grandfather was in France with the AEF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will post some more about my Grandad in France and your so right very Haunting I think it says it all about War

      Delete
  5. never knew. that tank miniature is perfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you I have got to look back and find out where I bought the miniature kits and post it on my Blog

      Delete
  6. Great looking tanks. Cool history about your Grandfather too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much I will put a bit more on here very soon

      Delete
  7. That lurker bloke is a nice guy isn't he?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. now that goes with out saying all Hail the lurker bloke LOL

      Delete
  8. Very cool having such a direct link to your subject matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is what got me interested in Tanks in the first place

      Delete