Sunday, 26 February 2012

WW1 British Tanks Part 2

Part 2
The full size wooden model of Wilson Design which showed the tracks going round the whole body was sent to London for the war office to look at Wembley Park. No one knows what the Tank look like as there is no photos this all took place in September 1915.

The official trials took place at Hatfield park in Hertfordshire in January 1916. The mark 1 was called Big Willie but over the years its got known as Mother.



Big Willie (Mother)

This picture is of Mother at the Somme 25 September 1916 the net on top was an anti grenade net.



Here are some Models I have made of Big Willie (Mother) I got them online from Lou Stener
they are1/35 scale resin



                                                     
                                                      Mark 1 (Mother Male tank)




                                                     The rear




                                                                The Front




                                             Mark 1(Mother female)






                                                            The Rear




The Front




Mother had a crew of eight men. They were still called Land-ships the term Tank came about as a operation name so the Germans wouldnt know, we made out they were Water Tanks hence the name Tank.
the male Tank had  6 PDR Sponsons the female had Hotchkiss machine guns.
I had made the models myself had some help painting them from a very good friend of mine the Angry-lurker
I will post more up about these tanks and why I am so interested in them 









14 comments:

  1. Interesting stuff Vinnie, WW1 is an area I've always been interested in but never really done anything about modelling wise.I will check in regularly (Fran gave you a name check, BTW)to see your stuff.
    Regards,
    Monty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I will put some more stuff about the Tanks and as to why I am interested in them so much

      all the best

      Delete
  2. Lovely model. I do love these old death trap tanks. God knows how the men inside could stand the noise, heat and vibration let alone the dangers of battle, engine fires, carbon monoxide poisoning etc.
    (Don't listen to anything that reprobate Fran tell's you BTW. He's a Cad and a bounder as well as a jolly nice chap and therefore not to be trusted!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you know Fran well LOL he is my best mate I take it you must be Big Lee?

      Delete
  3. Just joined, recommended by The Angry Lurker. I love WWI so a good start, Good luck with the blog, I've been maintaining mine for 2 years now and requires some regular attention and work, but I'm enjoying the experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I hope to enjoy the experience too The angry lurker
      will help me for a bit to get me going

      all the best

      Delete
  4. I think you'll have to thank Fran.

    I'm not so interested in WW1... at the moment, but your model sure looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking in and your comments about my model
      I will blog some more about Mother as my Grandad drove them in battle

      Delete
  5. Nice model Vince!! Big Willie indeed!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Angry Lurker has sent me here, and this appear to be a very interesting blog. I like a lot these WW I monsters, and their history is great. Thank you a lot fot putting it here.

    Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I will be putting some more on here I have never blogged before so bare with me but thanks for checking in

      regards

      Delete
  7. Good looking models Vinnie. Are you just interested in the armour or are you looking to do infantry,artillery models as well?

    Oh and Fran sent me so that's another pint you owe him

    ReplyDelete
  8. at the Moment Armour but that could change down the line but there is alot to do with armour i know so many pints for Fran

    ReplyDelete